Sometimes you have the best intentions during a three day holiday weekend. You swear you’ll eat well, even when you’re offered the most succulent barbecue meals— and swear even more that you’ll exercise instead of sleeping in AND avoid alcohol. (Go you!) But there you are Tuesday morning: feeling guilty, slightly ill and bloated from all the overeating.
Now what you do? The way I see it, you’ve got only one choice: get back on track as quickly as possible! Here are six ways to get back on track with you weight loss plan after a long holiday weekend.
- Don’t beat yourself up.
Repeat the mantra: new day, new start. Research indicates that beating ourselves up about the past is not effective. Starting the day with the mantra ‘fresh start’ can be helpful.
- Get back to routine as soon as possible.
Routines can be both calming and important in getting back on track. Whatever you do: Don’t sleep in until noon on Tuesday. Structure is key. If you use structure, your body will take care of itself. If your normal routine involves a morning workout, then wake up and hit the gym (your body will thank you later).
- Start the morning with the 3 M’s: movement, mindful eating, and minimizing.
Exercise may help activate serotonin—those “feel good chemicals that will help regulate your mood”—and when you’re feeling happier, you’ll make healthier choices (plus, you’ll work off some calories). When sitting down to breakfast, eat mindfully (read: slowly, and with minimal distractions), and cut out processed foods as much as you can throughout the week.
- Dump the extra food.
If you’ve got extra food around the house from the holiday weekend, dump it. Why keep unhealthy, calorie-laden food around to tempt you? Better that the food goes in the garbage than on your hips or belly, right?
- Review or reset your goals.
Sometimes overindulging comes about because you either lost sight of your goals or have set your goals too high. A goal of “I’m never going to eat cookies again” may be too strict for you and cause you to overindulge, using a holiday weekend as an excuse to ditch your weight loss plan.
- Eat your favorite healthy meal and do your favorite workout.
You’re only one healthy meal and one workout away from getting back on track. If you need the extra incentive, why not cook your favorite healthy meal (for me, it’s salmon!) and do your favorite workout—and blast your favorite music while doing it.
- Download your FREE gift “7 Easy Steps To A New Healthy You” from Ashvini’s website.
- Buy her book Small Steps to Slim here
- If you find yourself struggling and ready to take control of your life and your health, please contact Ashvini at 610-648-6260 or schedule a 30 minute complimentary consultation on her website or email her at email@example.com. Check out her nutrition tip video https://vimeo.com/110543525